Friday, December 3, 2010

A Bountiful Harvest

After a string of really disappointing Thanksgivings, I had all but given up on the holiday. Last Thanksgiving as my husband and I popped a frozen pizza in the oven I lamented that I was not meant to celebrate this holiday.

Fast forward one year: in early November I was ready to book a hotel and spend Thanksgiving in Rome. Luckily my wonderful husband leveled with me, and I reluctantly agreed to have a nice Thanksgiving at home. It was, after all, an American tradition I wanted to continue for the sake of our daughter. 

In order to get into the Thanksgiving spirit, Chief downloaded a few dozen Thanksgiving Food Network episodes. The week preceding our feast we would curl up every night after AC went to bed and watch Giada, Paula, Alton, and Bobby teach us how to prepare a scrumptious spread. Alton Brown's turkey brine did not disappoint. Chief and I both agreed that it was the best turkey we had ever eaten (sorry moms)!

I was easily able to channel the Pilgrim/Indian gathering spirit due to the fact that we are reaping our own bountiful harvest in our backyard. Our fruit trees are dropping fruit faster than we can pick it up. At this point our largest fruit yield is our orange trees. We literally have more than we can use. We can't even give these beauties away because everyone else has orange trees too. 



Then there are tangerines. Mmmm.

I was most excited about having a pomegranate tree when we were in the process of moving. Unfortunately one of the movers asked Nathan if he could have some. Well, in Italy that apparently means can I pick your tree clean. We went outside after the movers were gone and discovered the barren tree. Chief claims that I cried when I saw the tree, but honestly I don't remember (PTSD perhaps). This is the only one left. It won't get eaten as it is a runt that refuses to ripen. However it does serve as a symbol of hope for next year!

Our lemons are on the brink of ripeness. Lemons are the official fruit of the Campania region, and very much a symbol of Neapolitan life. 

I am so thankful to have Thanksgiving back in my life!

Ciao for now

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog designed by Zip.Zog.Zoom.